Faculty Support Center
What is this?
The Faculty Support Center (McEwen 215) is the primary support shop for Faculty Computing Services. This is where we take your phone calls and answer your emails. This is where faculty can consult with us or use advanced hardware or software they need to facilitate their Hofstra courses or research.
Why would I use this?
If you want to do multimedia creation and you want some help or you just want to use some powerful computers, this is the place. The room is staffed with professional instructional designers and instructional technologists as well as knowledgeable and friendly student staff. Plus, if you visit us, you can get out of your office for a few minutes.
Here are a list of resources available to you in our Support Center:
- Digitizing Services - We will assist you in digitally converting media to a variety of different digital and analog formats.
- Text and Image Scanning - Also available are image scanners that you use to scan your own pictures and materials.
- Duplication/DVD & CD Production - We offer disk duplication services in support of your Hofstra course.
- OPSCAN Support - Self-service and drop-off test scoring is available to Hofstra faculty.
- Hardware - We have powerful PC's and Mac Pro's connected to a high quality color printer and a double-sided black and white laser printer.
- Loan Outs - You can borrow one of our many camera's, video cameras, or audio recorders for special projects. We even loan out Clickers for classroom use. You can borrow equipment for a 2 week period. If you are interested please contanct us.
- Application Development - Faculty Computing Services can assist faculty in the development of software applications in support of research and Hofstra courses
- Audio and Video solutions - We can assist you creating multimedia content in order to enhances the student's learning experience while keeping them engaged with your content.
- Distance Learning - We can assist you in getting started with the distance learning process at Hofstra and well as course content consultation and design related questions.
- Research Support - We can facilitate your official Hofstra research in a consultation or collaborative role.
- Emerging Technology Consultation - We offer informed consultation on the rapidly changing state of technology.
- Software Licensing - In addition, we provide Hofstra faculty with extensive information on the complicated aspects of licensing the software you need for your courses.
Who is using this?
Hundreds of Hofstra faculty call, email, or visit the Support Center each year to get technology training, a Blackboard problem solved, or do some multimedia work, among other questions and projects. We take walk-ins or if you would like, you can make an appointment.
Where can I find additional resources?
You're looking at them! This wiki contains a lot of information about the types of resources available to you and supported at the Faculty Support Center.
Where can I get help?
Faculty Computing Services is here to help you! The Faculty Support Center is open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon-Thu, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fri.
- Email: FCSHelp@hofstra.edu
- Phone: 516-463-6894
Back to the Main Page